Update your home: Find a powerful ally in painting
Choose the painting. In addition to thinking carefully about color -be aware of whether or not it is suitable for space-, calculate the amount of paint, the type, and the optimal tools. Make a list with everything before leaving home.
The plastic paint is interior par excellence. It is formulated in water base, so it is easy to apply and dries quickly with hardly any odors. In addition, it allows cleaning with utensils and splashing water.
The plastic paint is usually presented in a matte finish – it better dissimulates the damage of the walls – although there is also satin and shiny, with more washable surfaces because they are less porous.
As its cost is only 30% of a professional’s paint budget, it should be chosen with good hiding power, preferably monolayer and anti-drip: you will save time and optimize results.
Quantities, the jousts … and a little more. In general terms, a liter of plastic paint covers about 20 square meters, although each manufacturer specifies this information on the packaging.
Once the dimensions of the room have been taken, it is a simple calculation … which is still more simplified, if we use an online calculator of those offered by painting firms.
Houzz advice? Multiply the quantity by two, in case you want to give two layers and leave a margin for repairs.
Tastes, colors. Choose one or two lighter shades of what seems to fit what you want. Try it before on a large piece of wall, to let it dry and see it throughout different times of the day, with natural and artificial light.
The colors made to measure with tintometric machines are very useful: they incorporate a reference with which the exact color can be reproduced if we need to fix any damage in the future. Likewise, they allow to raise or lower the intensity of a tone, in a controlled manner until the desired one is reached.
Decoration for beginners: On the use and qualities of colors
Essential tools If the quality of the painting is essential, it is no less than of the tools:
- The roller is essential, to achieve a uniform finish and speed up the work. There are many types, although a multi-purpose medium fiber is suitable, except in the case of rough walls or marked gotelé. Here, better choose a long hair that fills the gaps.
- A telescopic bar, to paint the ceilings and the high part of the walls.
- A brush, for corners and places where the roller does not fit.
- A small roller, to give the last pass and that there is no difference between the areas covered with roller and brush.
- Perfect walls Before painting, clean the walls and remove any dirt (cause the paint does not adhere well). Wipe with a cloth or sponge with water and neutral soap, and let the surface dry before applying the paint.
Take the opportunity to repair small defects with filler fillers, such as tapping holes that are no longer used, small chipped areas, loose plaster, cracks …